Skip to main content

Flint Scholarship

The deadline to apply for the Richard C. Flint Scholarship is Friday, April 5, 2024.

About the scholarship

The scholarship’s namesake, Richard C. Flint, served WVU Tech as the coordinator and professor of the Health Services Administration program in the department. Flint, who was well known in Kanawha and Fayette Counties, passed away in 1992.

All student majoring in health services administration, criminal justice, forensic investigations, psychology and public administration at WVU Tech are eligible to apply for the scholarship, which is administered by the Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation. The size of the scholarship varies,  but may cover part of tuition costs, and may be renewable.


A number of Flint Scholarships will be offered to students majoring in any of the baccalaureate fields in the Department of Social Sciences and Public Administration at WVU Tech.

There is no fixed amount on individual scholarships.

Applications for this scholarship are available at the time of  admission into the program. Recipient decisions are made annually in the spring of each year. Amounts will vary but typically cover a significant amount of tuition and/or board. Students may re-apply annually. 

Application process

In order to be considered for the scholarship, you MUST provide the following:

  1. Your completed student application to include background information, test scores, extracurricular activities and a one-page personal essay;
  2. Two letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be requested from individuals not currently on the Flint Scholarship committee, and should be from someone who knows you well and can attest to your qualifications. Please submit letters of recommendation to Tara Taylor.
  3. and a completed grade certification form. Note: this form is only required for students coming directly from high school or from another institution. These are not required for students who are currently enrolled at WVU Tech. 
Applicants still in high school will need to provide the following in addition to the first three items:
  • High school transcripts
  • ACT/SAT scores
Transfer students from other institutions will need to provide the following in addition to the first three items:
  • Transcripts from previous college or university
Note: Applications missing any of the required documentation will not be considered.


Contact Dr. Crosby Hipes at 304.929.1315 or e-mail at