Academic scholarships in the Department of Physical Education are available through the Rapp Scholarship. The Robert F. Rapp Scholarship Fund was established in 2000 to provide academic scholarships for undergraduate students in the Department of Physical Education at West Virginia University Institute of Technology. Robert F. Rapp was a 1950 graduate in Physical Education of West Virginia Tech. His wife, Evelyn Bennett Gaston, established the endowed fund upon her death via provisions within her will. Guidelines for the selection of those receiving the scholarships are at the discretion of the Department of Physical Education at WVU Tech. Please see Rapp Scholarship Guidelines and Rapp Scholarship Application.
RAPP SCHOLARSHIP GUIDELINES
In order to be eligible for the Rapp Scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- All applicants must be either an Athletic Coaching Education major or a Sport Management major in the Department of Physical Education at WVU Tech.
- All applicants must be a member of the Physical Education Major’s club.
- Preference will be given to students who submit a copy of a current West Virginia Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance student membership card or a current American Alliance of Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance student membership card.
- Preference will be given to students who have attended a WVAHPERD or AAHPERD Convention the previous year.
- Complete at least one semester at WVU Tech with an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Submit a written recommendation by a faculty or staff member of WVU Tech.
- Complete a Rapp Scholarship Application and attach a typed essay stating why you feel you are deserving of this award?
- Have all required material turned into the Advisor of the Physical Education Major’s Club by the deadline date specified.
PROCEDURES FOR SELECTION AND AWARDING SCHOLARSHIP:
- Advisor of the Physical Education Major’s Club submits applications to the faculty in the Department of Physical Education.
- Faculty vote acceptance or non-acceptance on each application and recommend to the Chair.
- Chair makes the final selection of recommendations submitted.
- Advisor of the Physical Education Major’s Club notifies students who have been awarded.
- Chair sends all the necessary paper work to the Tech Foundation for the scholarship(s) to be processed.
RAPP SCHOLARSHIPS: 1-10 scholarships to be awarded each academic year. Award amounts vary depending upon the amount of interest earned on the scholarship each year and the number of scholarship recipient(s) selected. Minimum of $200.00 per year.