The Sport Studies Club at WVU Tech, which is comprised of sport management majors and Athletic Coaching Education majors. Supported by the WVU Tech Student Government Association, the WVU Tech Sport Studies Club provides students with unique opportunities to work at and run sports-related events, travel on educational field trips to sports venues and gain additional valuable industry experience with their peers while learning and having fun.
Sport Studies ClubOFFICERS
- President: Keyonna Morrow
Vice-President: Francine Meyer
- SGA Representative
*Adviser: Laura Spiers
ARTICLE I: NAME & PURPOSE
Section A: Name – The name of this club shall be Sport Studies Club
Section B: Purpose – The purpose of the Sports Studie Club is to:
1. Provide networking and learning experiences in coaching, exercise science, and sports management
2. Participate in volunteer activities
3. Attend conferences and clinics
ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP & DUES
Section A: Eligibility – Membership shall be open to all students that are majoring or minoring in Athletic Coaching Education or Sport Management regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, military service, or disability. The club shall strive to encourage a diverse membership upon payment of the dues as outlined in Article II, Section B.
Section B: Dues – Dues shall be $10 per academic year. [Effective Fall 2014]
ARTICLE III: OFFICERS
Section A: Officers – The officers shall be a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer and SGA representative.
Section B: Eligibility – Officers must carry at least a 9 hour work load along with maintaining a 2.0 every semester and be majoring or minoring in Athletic Coaching Education or Sports Management to be eligible for club membership.
Section C: Election – The officers shall be elected by ballot at the last meeting of the spring semester by a majority of the votes cast for that office and ballots will be counted by graduating staff and the advisor.
Section D: Term – The officers shall serve for one year and their term of office shall begin at the commencement of the spring semester.
Section E: Vacancy – If a vacancy occurs in the office of President, the Vice-President shall assume the office for the remainder of the term and vacancies in any other office shall be filled by a special election.
ARTICLE IV: DUTIES OF OFFICERS
Section A: President – it shall be the duty of the President to:
- Preside at meetings
- Vote only in case of a tie
- Represent the club
- Appoint committee chairpersons subject to the approval of the Executive Committee
- Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee
- Perform such other duties as ordinarily pertain to this office
Section B: Vice-President – It shall be the duty of the Vice-President to:
- Preside in the absence of the President
- Serve as chairperson of the Program Committee
Section C: Secretary – It shall be the duty of the Secretary to:
- Record the minutes of all meetings
- Keep a file of the club’s records
- Maintain a current roster of membership
- Issue notices of meetings and conduct the general correspondence of the club
Section D: Treasurer – It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to:
- Receive all funds and process Request for Payment, Deposit Slip, and Officer Signature Forms.
- Keep an itemized account of all receipts and expenditures and make reports as directed
Section E: SGA Representative – It shall be the duty of the SGA Representative to:
- Attend all SGA meetings
- Report relevant things from each SGA meetings
- Deliver necessary paperwork to SGA
ARTICLE V: MEETINGS
Section A: Meetings – Regular meetings shall be held monthly during the regular school year.
Section B: Special Meeting – Special meetings may be called by the President with the approval of the Executive Committee.
Section C: Quorum – A quorum shall consist of two-thirds (2/3) of the membership.
Section D: Parliamentary Authority – Robert’s Rules of Orders, shall govern this club in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws.
ARTICLE VI: EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
Section A: Responsibility – Management of this club shall be vested in an Executive Committee responsible to the entire membership to uphold these bylaws.
Section B: Membership – This committee shall consist of the officers as listed in Article III and the faculty advisor.
Section C: Meetings – This committee shall meet at least once between regular meetings of the club to organize and plan future activities.
ARTICLE VII: ADVISOR
Section A: Selection – there shall be a faculty/staff adviser who shall be selected each year by the membership.
Section B: Duties – The responsibilities of the faculty advisor shall be to:
- Maintain an awareness of the activities and programs sponsored by the student club.
- Meet on a regular basis with the leader of the student club to discuss upcoming meetings, long range plans, goals, and problems of the club.
- Attend regular meetings, executive board meetings as often as schedule allows.
- Assist in the orientation of new officers.
- Explain and clarify campus policy and procedures that apply to the club.
- Maintain contact with the Student Life Office.
- Provide direction in the area of parliamentary procedure, meeting facilitation, group building, goal setting, and program planning.
- Assist the club treasurer in monitoring expenditures, fundraising activities, and corporate sponsorship to maintain an accurate and up-to-date account ledger.
- Inform club members of those factors that constitute unacceptable behavior on the part of the club members, and the possible consequence of said behaviors.
ARTICLE VIII: COMMITTEES
Section A: Program Committee – A program committee composed of the Vice-President as chairperson and four other members shall be appointed by the President before the end of spring semester, whose duty shall be to plan the overall program of the club.
Section B: Special Committees – The President shall have the authority to appoint any special committees, with the approval of the Executive Committee, from time to time as need demands.
ARTICLE IX: AMENDMENTS
Section A: Selection – these bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the chapter membership.
Section B: Notice – All members shall receive advance notice of the proposed amendment at least five days before the meeting. [The time may be extended to the following meeting.]